Every time I have come to Ilmenau with students for a summer course, there has been a different iteration of the placement test (Einstufungstest). The question is how to determine the level of a student's ability in a second/foreign language using a tool that can be given and assessed fairly quickly to a large number of students. There are 120 students from 25 countries here this year, further necessitating the quick turn around time.
In the past, the tests have ranged from the "totally out of touch with modern pedagogy" to the one we experienced today. Today, the TU entered the digital age with a computerized adaptive exam, used across the nation, and which can be administered anywhere in the world. I'ts called a C-1 test (?). Of course, the technology didn't work (It is a technology university :) The issues were resolved, and we took the exam in small groups in the many computer labs at the university. I found out later that we were the guinea pigs--the university just started to use this version.
The test consisted of 8 Lückentexte (fill in the blank texts) where the blanks were articles, adjective endings, vocabulary words (usually with a 2 or 3 letter beginning), prepositions. The student had no more than 5 minutes for each of the 8 exercises. If still working at 5 minutes, the next text just appeared. It is designed so that even native speakers never get a perfect score, since it deducts for stylistic error, even if the answer is correct. It tests for REGISTER!!
The test was adaptive, meaning that depending on the percentage of correct answers in each text, the student either got a more difficult or easier text the next time. There seemed to be little overlap among the (American students), and since they are all fairly close in abilty, I'd say there were at least 7 or 8 different texts for each level. Topics included the environment, chocolate, youth activities for the beginner levels, and topics such as the genetic testing of bone fragments and recent findings based on that research, and the example below for the test I took. I was glad I was able to take it as well, and let me tell you, it did get progressively harder. I struggled with the last two, realizing answers at almost the last second. Here is an easier example in English, reproduced in the style of the test:
Title
Opening and complete statement
Fill ins of various types and difficulty
Closing statement, usually a summary statement
Loaner Grandpas and Loaner Grandmas
Many children have grandparents who are either not living or who live too far away to visit them regularly.
There is now a pl_____________ office where seniors can r_________ for placement with local families with c__________ whose grandparents are not available. Once matched, the seniors can interact with the younger gen____________ and have a rich experience. Research has found that seniors who interact with children are he___________ and live longer. The children benefit from contact with the older generation.
I am normally not a fan of fill-ins, but these really tested my ability to "hear" the language to anticipate exactly which vocabulary word fit. The grammar fill ins were fairly easy, but present in every selection, and the last couple had some obscure (and dare I say archaic) usage.
This test is standardized and tests/places students at the European levels (A1, A2, B1, B2, C1 or higher). Here are our group's results:
H: 22 points, under A2 (Group 1)
N: 29 points, under A2 (Group 2)
M: 32 points, A2 (Group 2)
DP: 137 points, C1 or higher
Note: The entire group is mostlz at the A2 level, with the highest level, Group 6, at the A2-B1 level (!). It seems there were only 2 who placed into the advanced level: the teacher accompanying the Russian contingent and yours truly. We both decided that we would not do the morning language classes, but would participate in all other activities/excursions (and I think Stephan was relieved). Ruth: you'll be interested to know that I had lunch with the instructors, and Frau Heinitz is in a real snit since she is teaching Group 5 (not 6) this year. A direct quote (translated): "I just don't know how to begin with such a low level of language proficiency. We can't have a real conversation." That said, it's a very well-behaved group (well on days 1and 2 anyway).
I found the "under A2" interesting. Student H has had the least preparation (one year), but I sense he is a serious student. Student N has had 2 years, and as my former student, I know he is not always able to focus, Student M has taken the Comp & Con level, and has great confidence in her ability to speak and communicate, however, often makes mistakes that impede understanding. None of them are at the lowest level, indeed I think they are at the Novice High level, with M at Intermediate low. They'll get class assignments later this afternoon, and I'll add the class level in later.
Here is a copy of a simplepractice test from the website:
Nach dem Kindergarten gehen alle Kinder im Alter von sechs oder sieben Jahren in die Grundschule. Dort ble_____ sie vi_____ Jahre. Da gehen ca. 45 Pro_____ auf d_____ Hauptschule, ca. 25 Pro_____ auf d_____ Realschule u_____ ca. 30 Pro_____ auf d_____ Gymnasium. I_____ einigen Bundesl_____ gibt e_____ auch Gesamtsch_____ . Nach d_____ Hauptschule ka_____ man arbe_____ und Ge_____ verdienen od_____ eine Le_____ machen. Na_____ dem Abi_____ am Gymn_____ kann m_____ einen Be_____ lernen oder an der Universität studieren.
3 comments:
Well I can't read the German fill in the blank exercise, but the example you provided in English looks challenging indeed since it asks not just for the correct vocabulary word but the correct part of speech with sometimes very little clues. Based on this description it sounds like the students did well to score as they did.
I'm looking forward to finding out where your students placed. Today I begin rating our native speakers of English on their writing ability using the ACTFL writing standards. The good ones will be advance, but I am interested to see how many high intermediates there are.
I'm glad you realized just how difficult it was to complete this. You're correct Jody, the more difficult selections had barely any clue. I talked with the local instructors about the exam, and my experience with it, and information from the home web site. They were unaware it is adaptive (as our exam is), and thought the selections were too difficult. After I explained that the beginners had ever easier selections if they performed poorly on one section, as well as the topics that my beginning students had, I think they got it. I'm still amazed that it tests register--that would be with the one letter clues, where several words could work, but only one is correct. I've never thought much of their placement tests, but this one is a definite improvement.
Ruth, I'm looking forward to how your students placed according to ACTFL. Maybe we could come up with a couple fill-in texts to supplement/test for register.
Post a Comment