Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Moving in time and space-Berlin

Traveling requires a sense of ease in moving through time and space, all the time living each day in a significantly different way with regard to normal habits. Clothes need to get washed out by hand and hung over heaters for the next day, meals include breakfast rooms at hostels and hotels, or sampling the variety of street and cafe/restaurant food, and there is more walking than when at home.
There are sometimes things that that appear unexpectedly, such as finding that Berlin Mitte is under construction, this time for a new subway connection to Unter den Linden, and that was a huge concert area set up right at the Brandenburg Gate, limiting the entire area. Of course, cold rainy weather, while not totally unexpected, might change some plans or add to the fun exploring during the day, especially once you get used to wet exploration.
There are often difficulties, such as the flight delays we experienced during the journey here this time due to unexpected problems with a flight at Heathrow the day we departed, causing us to arrive well after the city had gone to sleep and requiring a return visit to claim forgotten luggage.
Then again, there is always the possibility of some sublimely wonderful moments. I'd put lunch today in this category. Bruce and Alex humored me today and we enjoyed asparagus cream soup, and a dinner of asparagus and potatoes. Since it was rainy and cold, we had a Glühwein as well, and it not only helped thaw and dry us out, but tasted great as well. The ambience of the old Berlin restaurant beneath the elevated train only added to the enjoyment.
Last weekend, I was with students in Berlin. I've been here before, and was thinking all day about previous visits with students, and as a child myself. The first time I came here it was to a divided city, and I lacked the skills needed to navigate a strange city. Katie T. and I got lost and wandered around, using a map neither of us could read well while trying to use the weak light provided by widely spaced street lights. Lesson learned: carry a flashlight and plan out how to return to your home away from home before going out.
Subsequent trips taught me to navigate within the city, and where I could stay comfortably. Those visits were with student groups with tours led by others, as well as visits to archives for my own research, and delegation visits with Blue Ash. Today was different, though, because it was the first time I was responsible for guiding others around, and I was surprised how much I was able to remember. There are other pleasant surprises, such as finding that the curry wurst stand that looked so temporary in the past is still at the same location. This brief weekend stay helped me to realize that every destination, and the travel to it, help define the minimum I need to move through time and space as a member of the human race on this planet.
The video is from the running video in the memorial to homosexuals persecuted under National Socialism. The photos include the Kleist Park near David Bowie's former Berlin home, the memorial to the murdered Jews, and Alexander in front of the Alexanderplatz train station sign.

YouTube Video















PS The Currywurst stand was still a block away. We dumped our bags and headed of for a late night snack, accompanied by a Schnapps.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments: