Friday, May 3, 2013

Sabbatical finished, leaving tomorrow

This sabbatical flew by! Although I spent a lot of "butt time" reading, thinking and writing, it seemed such a short time. The semester version of a leave is really too short. Next time, I will need to schedule it for a time when I do not have to get right back to work in the summer in order to gain the summer as well.

This is the last day before we leave for the SBSA program in Vienna, Prague and Harlaxton/London. I need to complete several last minute tasks at work and at home, then rest this evening to prepare for the sure-to-be-exhausting trek from home to Dayton to Atlanta to London to Vienna, then through Vienna to our hostel/hotel. I figure it's about 40 solid hours of travel and waiting to travel, and a real reason to try to sleep on the airplane. Here's a picture of me in transatlantic flight mode.

I read that wearing sunglasses for the entire flight and into the next day upon arrival tricks the internal processes responsible for detaining just how much jet lag a person might experience. I tried it last September for Verena and Moritz's wedding, a long weekend trip, and it seemed to work well. No jet lag upon arrival! On the journey home, I did it again, with a slightly lower success, but I attribute that to exhaustion from the fast trip, and heading back to work the next day. I still smile when I remember that Kristen substituted for me. And she did a great job :))


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

1 comment:

Ruth Benander said...

LOL: I love your sleeping on the airplane photo. Before I read your blog, I thought it was a metaphor for the end of sabbatical. Indeed, the 40 straight hours of travel will be a real marathon. Thank goodness there is a place to eat and crash at the hostel!